I think one or two of you might actually be following my serial novel, “Rochelle’s Briefcase” so I’ll just mention that Chapter 9 is up. Voters who read chapter 8 (or skipped straight to the poll) decided that the car parked outside Rochelle’s place was a police car and not the well-known blue hatchback, not the ominous black car with tinted windows, and not Tina’s car.
Anyway, enough of the story. I was intending to write about the Scrivener experience which I started documenting here. Chapter 9 contains 7 scenes which might seem like overkill for one chapter but I wanted to play with Scrivener’s document shuffling feature, and to get a couple more POV’s in because it might help with the story.
Quick aside: I posted Chapter 9 last night, nearly 24 hours ago and only just now realised I got bitten by the bug I described in my last post about it randomly leaving out documents from the compile. The second last scene was missing which would have confused anyone reading the last scene! Apologies for that, I’ve just fixed it.
That bug with the missing documents in the compile seem to involve the keyword window. When you bring up the keyword window, random documents in the binder will change from the document icon (paper with lines of text) to blank documents paper with no lines. I have no idea why. It’s these blank docs in the binder that are excluded from the complied version even if the “Include in Compile” box is ticked. And trust me to be aware of the damn thing during the whole writing and editing process of Chapter 9, diligently watching for it and tracking its behaviour, only to forget about it when I compile the final copy for the web. And also forget to check it. Come on, it was late. 🙂 The work-around is to select something in the binder and press CTRL-A to select everything immediately before compiling.
I also played with using keywords for characters in the scene, time, locations and applied these to all previous chapters for later editing of the eBook version I plan to sell 10 billion copies of. 😉 I found it a little painstaking to do as a go-back-to-the-start task but I hope it will be worth it later when keeping track of who is where.
I still want to find a good way to track loose ends. I tend to write a lot of them just to keep the reader guessing and hopefully coming back for more, (with varying degrees of success). I just need to make sure I’ve tied them all up at some stage further along in the story. Currently using keywords for this, too. Moderately happy with this at the moment.
Taking the Scrivener developer’s advice about changing the document’s label to POV characters seems like a good idea (I missed that when writing this). Can’t think of a better use for it at this stage.
Storing a quick outline of the chapter in a separate document stored in the Chapter folder is worthwhile, as is storing the proposed poll question and answers. Simply untick the “include in Compile” box so it doesn’t actually come out in your final draft.
Another handy thing that everyone else no doubt knows but I found towards the end of my experimenting is that you don’t need to just select a chapter folder when using the outliner or cork-board. You can select any assortment of multiple documents to display their synopses and edit together as a single flow. Very nice.
Next up: Chapter 10 with hopefully more Scrivener skills!