I’m just going with the flow here, hoping I don’t break any rules or bust a chain or something. I’ve been given a list of questions I must answer about my Next Big Thing, aka a novel I am working on.
I could say I’m working on three novels at the moment but the reality is I’ve started three novels at various times in the past and not finished any of them!
So I will go with my most recently started novel which was for NaNoWriMo this year because it’s fresh in my mind.
1. What is the working title of your book?
2. Where did the idea come from for the book?
I decided to participate in Nano this year two days before it started. The following day I had no idea for a story so I thought about the advice “Write what you know” so, being the astronomy nerd that I am, I melded together various ideas about space phenomena. There’s also this end-of-the-world rubbish that’s going around about approaching planets.
3. What genre does your book fall under?
Hmm, that’d be science fiction, maybe with a little psychological thriller thrown in.
4. What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
Arthur C. Clarke’s Hammer of God has some similarities as does any story involving a huge impactor heading for Earth, BUT… mine is different.
5. Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie
I’d probably go with the ones the casting agent recommends!
But seriously, that would be tricky because the story spans more than 30 years so actors might have to play the younger and older versions of their characters. Except the children. Some doubling up would have to be done to cover the age differences.
6. What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
“Whether or not The Rogue hits us, the Earth will change forever, but if it doesn’t hit, we’ll still be around to watch our planet die.”
7. Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
Probably self-published but I’m happy to accept offers from agents!
8. How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
It’s not finished yet but the first half was done as part of NaNoWriMo. 30 days, so far.
9. Who or What inspired you to write this book?
Sci-fi authors of all place and time. And my love of the sciences, particularly astronomy, and the mystery of conspiracy theories.
10. What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
The graphic sex, the needless slaughter, the inevitable deaths of main characters, the tension, the conflict between and within societies. General apocalyptic scenarios.
Other Next Big Things
Here is where I nominate two more wonderful authors who will answer the same 10 questions about their up and coming novels: